23 October, 2013

baking up a storm in an allergic house (aka keeping it simple: The Humble Scone)


Hi there!

So, have I told you that I love to bake. Love it! With my three cheeky rascals keeping me, well, busy, I often don't have the time I would love to have to make stuff. But, baking, well, that's a different story! The boys love to help out, and I love the feeling of having created something, even if in the kitchen, rather than my crafty space. Add to that the challenge of finding great recipes that are both egg and nut-free (or at least adaptable), and I am in.

So lately we have had an awful lot of playdates, which has been lovely! And a great excuse to bake! There are a few favourite treats I have been taking along, but this has been the hit. It's funny, I'm not sure if it is the same everywhere else, but in Australia there seems to be this great mythology about The Perfect Scone. So if you bakes scones, and they do not resemble hard, crumbly small rocks, you are crowned as somewhat of a baking superhero/goddess.

I wonder if it has anything to do with the Australian Country Womens Association, who used to pride themselves on leading the way in all things baking...

Anyhoo, this recipe for me, has been a never-fail. So I thought I would share it here.

Before I start, I need to acknowledge that this is a tweak of a recipe from someone else. I have a small piece of notepaper taped into the back of my recipe book, with a version of this recipe - no name, and I have no recollection of where it came from, although I have a suspicion it may have come from a Val or a Sylvia.







The Humble Scone

3 cups SR flour
1 cup cream
1 cup sparkling water

(Disclaimer: I am not a baker! I am not a cook. I am a mum who is starting to bake the basics, and loving it. And I want to share the joy. I hope you have luck with the recipe, and if not, tweak it until it is your own.)

Preheat your oven to 220C.

Mix all your ingredients just until combined (don't overdo it) - the dough will be wet and sticky. Pop the dough out onto a floured bench, give it a bit of a gentle fold over until the dough feels good, you know, doughy. You don't want to give it a hard knead - just a gentle fold over. Next steps, don't roll the dough, just lightly pat it down. Cut it out, using round cutter or plastic cups (with a plastics drawer that is very accessible to a one year old, we have to make do with whatever we can still find in the kitchen!). We usually get between nine and twelve scones out of one batch of mix, depending on which cutter we use. Pop in the oven 15 mins in a preheated oven at 220C.

When you're done, take them out, let them cool for as short a time as you can manage, spoon on some local jam and yummo! You're done.

Have fun xx

No comments:

Thanks

to my other half who puts up with the mess, makes me happy and keeps me sane.
to my beautiful boys who give me so much i want to remember and make the everyday something to treasure.
to my mum who alway let me play with fabric and the good scissors, and who knows a lot of songs.
to my dad who was always happy for us to make a mess and who laughs at us when we deserve it.
to both parents for making sure i still got the work done.
to my dear friends for listening and for sharing the laughs.
and, to you for visiting!